The New Century scholarship encourages students to accelerate their education by earning an Associate’s degree in high school from an institution within the Utah System of Higher Education. The scholarship may be used at a 4-year public college or university within the Utah System of Higher Education, as well as at Brigham Young University and Westminster College.
The New Century Scholarship may continue to be refined and altered on an annual basis as result of legislation. Therefore, it is important that you use this website as your resource for the most up-to-date information. The notation of “New” next to a document on the website is an indication that clarifying information has been added to the document. Do not rely on past scholarship information or application packets as they are out-of-date. Should you have questions regarding this program call 801-321-7221.
2013-2014 Award Information
Based on legislative funding, the award amounts for the 2013-2014 college academic year Fall and Spring semesters (Fall and Winter if the student attends Brigham Young University) are as follows:
- The award will be a flat dollar amount of $1100 per semester.
- The continuation of the award is subject to the student renewing it each semester.
- The rate of $1100 per semester will be applied to all scholarship participants.
Funding levels beyond Spring semester 2014 are unknown. Award levels are announced each April for the upcoming academic year and can be found on our website, www.higheredutah.org. Award amounts are determined on an annual basis and are subject to legislative funding and the total number of qualified participants. Therefore, award amounts may be reduced, may vary from year to year, and are dependent on when the recipient is enrolled in college.
Information for Applicants
The New Century Scholarship Application for 2013 High School Graduates is now closed. All application materials were due (postmarked) by February 1, 2013. If you applied for the scholarship and have questions regarding your application please contact our office (see contact information below).
It is the applicant’s responsibility to read and understand the requirements of the scholarship. If upon reading the information, the student has remaining questions they are encouraged to work with their guidance counselor, early college advisor or contact our office.
The notation of “New” next to a document on the website is an indication that clarifying information has been added to the document. It does not indicate the program rules or that the criteria has changed. Do not rely on past scholarship information or application packets as they are out-of-date. It is the applicant’s responsibility to read and understand the requirements of the scholarship. If upon reading the information, the student has remaining questions they are encouraged to work with their guidance counselor, early college advisor or contact our office.
- New Century Program Guide 2013-2014 This guide contains information regarding the New Century Scholarship program, including the Math and Science Curriculum.
- New Century Scholarship Q & A
- Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide
The recent announcement made by the LDS Church regarding the age for when young adults may serve a mission has raised questions regarding how this might impact a student’s eligibility for the Regents’ Scholarship. There is not a significant impact as students have always been able to apply for a deferment or a leave of absence to hold their scholarship for religious service reasons. Read the Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide found above to learn more.
Information for Scholarship Recipients
Students who qualify for the New Century Scholarship award are required to renew the scholarship each semester. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the scholarship.
- Fall 2013 Rules for Renewing the New Century Scholarship CAREFULLY REQUIREMENTS HAVE CHANGED
- Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide
- Students must enroll in 15 credit hours and earn a 3.3 GPA for fall semester 2013 in order to maintain eligibility.
- The deadlines for renewing the scholarship remain the same, however; if a student is submitting a request for a leave of absence the deadlines to do so have changed.
- Deferment Application This application is for students who have graduated in 2013 and have not yet utilized the scholarship.
- Leave of Absence Application This application is for students who have utilized the scholarship for one or more semesters.
- Appeal Application Form
- New Century Student Information Release Form (FERPA)
New Century Scholarship Program
P.O. Box 145116
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-5116