The Regents’ Scholarship encourages Utah high school students to prepare for college academically and financially by taking a core course of study and saving for college. The scholarship may be used at any public college or university in the Utah System of Higher Education, as well as at Brigham Young University-Provo, LDS Business College, and Westminster College.
The Regents’ Scholarship may continue to be refined and altered on an annual basis as result of legislation. Therefore, it is important that you use this website as your resource for the most up-to-date information. Should you have questions regarding this program please call 801-321-7159.
Regents’ Scholarship Program Award Information for the 2013-2014 College Academic Year and Program Updates
Based on legislative funding, the award amounts for the 2013-2014 college academic year Fall and Spring semesters (Fall and Winter if the student attends Brigham Young University) are as follows:
- The Base award will be a $1,000 one-time payment;
- The Exemplary Academic Achievement award will be a flat dollar amount of $1100 per semester;
- The continuation of the award is subject to the student renewing it each semester.
- The rate of $1100 per semesters will be applied to all scholarship participants.
- The Regents’ Scholarship Utah Educational Savings Plan supplemental award is subject to contributions to your UESP trust account and is a one-time payment (maximum of $100 for each year in high school or $400 total).
Funding levels beyond Spring semester 2014 are unknown. Award levels are announced each April for the upcoming academic year and can be found on our website, www.higheredutah.org. Award amounts are determined on an annual basis and are subject to legislative funding and the total number of qualified participants. Therefore, award amounts may be reduced, may vary from year to year, and are dependent on when the recipient is enrolled in college.
Information for Scholarship Applicants
The Regents’ Scholarship application for 2013 high school graduates has now closed. All application materials were due postmarked February 1, 2013.
- Regents’ Scholarship Application Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Regents’ Scholarship Application Checklist and Review Process
- 2013-2014 Regents’ Scholarship Program Guide UPDATED
- This publication outlines the requirements for the scholarship, including the courses that will satisfy the scholarship requirements. A new guide is produced each April for the upcoming high school academic year. Therefore do not rely on past scholarship information or application packets or information as they are out-of-date.
- Major changes to the program guide include:
- Rules regarding courses that will receive grade weights.
- Beginning college Fall semester 2013, students are required to enroll in successfully complete 15 credit hours and earn a 3.3 semester GPA.
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (updated April 2013)
- Updates include information regarding weighted grades and information regarding college enrollment and GPA requirements.
- Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide
The recent announcement made by the LDS Church regarding the age for when young adults may serve a mission has raised questions regarding how this might impact a student’s eligibility for the Regents’ Scholarship. There is not a significant impact as students have always been able to apply for a deferment or a leave of absence to hold their scholarship for religious service reasons. Read the Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide found above to learn more.
Information for Scholarship Recipients
Students who qualify for the Exemplary Academic Achievement award are required to renew the scholarship each semester. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the scholarship. Below are the rules on how to renew the scholarship.
- Fall 2013 Rules for Renewing the Exemplary Academic Achievement Award for the Regents’ Scholarship NEW RULES PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
- Students must enroll in 15 credit hours and earn a 3.3 college semester GPA for Fall semester 2013 in order to maintain eligibility.
- The deadlines for renewing the scholarship remain the same, however; if a student is submitting a request for a leave of absence the deadlines to do so have changed.
- Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide
- Regents’ Scholarship Application for Deferment (This form is to used by students who will graduate from high school in 2013.)
- Regents’ Scholarship Application for Leave of Absence (This form should be used by students who have been awarded and have used the scholarship for one or more semesters.)
- Regents’ Scholarship Student Information Release Form
- Regents’ Scholarship Appeal Form (Appeals are not accepted for late document submission. An appeal may be filed once a student receives a letter notifying him/her of the status of their application or in reference to their continued eligibility as an award recipient.)
Regents’ Scholarship Program
P.O. Box 145114
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-5114