November 12, 2009
Top 10 Reasons You Should Care About Higher Ed
1. Do you want to earn more than $30,000 a year? Youll probably need a higher education.
2. Ever need help from a nurse, a doctor, a mechanic, a plumber, an electrician, or an HVAC technician? They all (usually) have post-secondary education.
3. Want to improve your quality of life? Studies show that higher education boosts happiness and satisfaction with lifestyle.
4. Its a worthwhile investment. Use this calculator on www.uheaa.org to crunch the numbers and see how quickly they add up.
5. Do you want to have the best for your family? Higher education can help you get there, with greater access to safety nets like pension plans, greater earnings, and lower rates of unemployment.
6. Do you want to be happy in your career? People with post-secondary education are more likely to have a job they enjoy and find rewarding.
7. Higher education policy affects everyone, not just the people who go to college. Postsecondary education is a huge economic driver, and its crucial to this countrys success or failure in the coming years.
8. Graduates of higher education are more likely to engage in behavior that is good for the community, like volunteering, voting, tolerating the opinions of others, and donating blood.
9. Equal access to higher education is a key to closing the gaps between American citizens.
10. People with a higher education are less likely to suffer from dementia of Alzheimers disease.
So now that you know why you should care, why do you care? What aspects of your own life will benefit from a higher education, be it a bachelors degree, an associates degree, a certificate, or a graduate education? Are you a single parent looking to improve your life and your childs life? Are you a recent high school graduate who wants to explore all the world has to offer? Are you a business executive who wants to gain new skills for a rapidly changing workplace? Maybe youre just feeling un-challenged in your day-to-day life. Higher education can change the way you interact with the world. Think about it.