February 10, 2010
Top 10 tips for selecting a college: Mapping your future
There are many options to consider when mapping your future educational pursuits – the biggest decision is choosing a college. Selecting a college can be a daunting task, but selecting the right college can be even more intimidating. Below is a list of Top 10 ways to simplify choosing the right college for you:
Top 10 tips for selecting a college
10. Assess your skills and interest. mappingyourfuture.org/planyourcareer/skills.htm
9. If you know what career interests you the most, find out what kind of education and training you’ll need to work in that field. mappingyourfuture.org/planyourcareer/careership
8. Take the standardized tests that may be required for admission to college. mappingyourfuture.org/collegeprep/tests.htm
7. Familiarize yourself with the different types of schools, and find out what characteristics to look for when selecting a school. mappingyourfuture.org/collegeprep/schooltypes.htm
6. Choose the characteristics that are important to you.
5. Gather information about schools, including costs, financial aid, and admissions requirements. mappingyourfuture.org/collegeprep/gatherinfo.htm
4. Make a short list of the schools that possess the characteristics you’re looking for and that best meet your goals and needs.
3. Apply for admission to the four to six schools that top your list. mappingyourfuture.org/collegeprep/apply.htm
2. Visit the schools. Some schools offer an online campus tour if you are unable to visit in person.
And the number one tip for selecting a college is . . .
Compare financial aid packages. Even though a school’s tuition may be higher, they may offer you more financial aid. mappingyourfuture.org/paying/financialaid.htm